Tuesday 12 June 2012

A Long Way To The Top - 2 Weeks In

Firstly I'll apologise for the delay in getting this post up, I've very much been just getting over that Irish game on Sunday...

So I've been doing the Stronglift 5x5 program for two weeks now and I've been progressing quiet well with the program. Certainly seems to be more effective than my previous program's. So as I've already said, the program focuses on doing 5 different exercises. Each exercise is performed in 5 sets of 5 reps, except deadlifts which is only one set.
So for the first two weeks I took the approach of one day on, next day off. So over the first two weeks I've done 7 sessions in gym. Here is the breakdown of my progress so far;

Week 1 
Monday 28/05/12
Squat
47.5kg 
Bench Press
42.5kg
Barbell Rows
32.5kg

Wednesday 30/05/12
Squat
 50kg
Overhead Press
 25kg
Deadlift
 37.5kg
Friday 01/06/12
Squat
 52.5kg
Bench Press
 45kg
Barbell Rows
 35kg
Sunday 03/06/12
Squat
 55kg
Overhead Press
 27.5kg
Deadlift
 40kg
Week 2
Tuesday 05/06/12
Squat
 57.5kg
Bench Press
 47.5kg
Barbell Rows
 37.5kg
Thursday 07/06/12
Squat
 60kg
Overhead Press
 30kg*
Deadlift
 42.5kg
Saturday 09/06/12
Squat
 62.5kg
Bench Press
 50kg
Barbell Rows
 40kg
* 3sets x 5reps & 2sets x 4reps

So after two weeks at the program, I've been very happy with how its going for me. Although I did encounter an issue an the Overhead Press. I hit a mini plateau when I struggled to get full reps on my final two sets. 

But I've had issues with shoulder exercises in the past, so I will be staying on the same weight until I'm able to complete the my five full sets...

As you can see from my progress, the program is certainly showing signs of being quiet effective so I'm going to remain optimistic with regards to this program getting me to where I want to go.

So as of Monday(11/06) here are my measurable:


Starting Stats
After 2 weeks
Weight
177lbs
173lbs
Body Fat%
18%
15.2%
So in 2 weeks I've managed to lose 4 lbs, now I will admit that my scales aren't the best so these readings may be a little out. The Body Fat % is just a rough estimation too(Tool here). 

So my plan over the next 2 weeks will be to hit the gym 3 times a week, this will give me the weekend off from the gym. I'll hopefully get myself back out on the bike a little bit and also get a little bit of core worked into my week...

Onwards to greatest